Worrisome issues, like stomach pain, chronic diarrhea, or unintentional weight changes, can be more than a mere annoyance. In the event you experience persistent signs of an unhealthy gut, you could be afflicted with a concerning GI issue. Don’t overlook the signs of poor GI health. Should you experience symptoms that are different, such as a change in bowel habits or yearnings for certain foods, bring it to the attention of a skilled gastroenterology specialist in Austin, TX. By talking with a provider at Austin Gastroenterology, you can understand any problems in your GI health and determine how to enhance your well-being.
What are common symptoms of poor gut health?
Many people get the occasional upset stomach or have a bout of heartburn from time to time. Frequent trouble with gastrointestinal concerns, might signal that something is interfering with your digestive health. If you have any of the following symptoms often, it might be due to poor gut heath:
- Mood changes: Anxiety and depression may be a result of poor digestive health.
- Unintentional weight changes: A sudden, unexplained gain or loss in weight could be an indication that your body is battling to absorb nutrients, store fat, or get rid of waste.
- Stomach discomfort: Constant constipation, gas, or bloating may be an indication that your gastrointestinal system is having difficulty breaking down food and getting rid of waste.
- Changes in stool: If you have noticed a difference in the color or consistency of your stool, such as if you have light-colored or loose stools, then it might be time to visit a doctor.
- Food Cravings: Cravings for foods, like sugar, may be an indication of an imbalance in gut bacteria or nutritional deficiency.
- Fatigue: Experiencing exhaustion on a frequent basis might be related to an issue with your GI system’s ability to absorb nutrients.
- Skin irritations/allergies: Inflammatory skin issues, including acne, psoriasis, and eczema, have bene connected to digestive heath.
- Autoimmune issues: Imbalanced gut bacteria can trigger problems with autoimmune diseases.
- Migraines: Headaches can be a sign that something is amiss in the digestive tract, particularly if nausea and vomiting also occur.
If you experience any of the signs or symptoms listed here, or any other concerning symptoms, such as repetitive acid reflux or blood in your stool, please schedule n appointment with one of our gastroenterologists in Austin, TX to have your digestive health checked.
What conditions might result in poor digestive health?
The symptoms you experience might point to a concerning GI disease. Some of the conditions that can lead to the symptoms featured above include:
- Cancer: GI cancers, such as colon cancer and gastric cancer, can lead to major issues in the digestive tract.
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD): Diseases such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease cause inflammation in the GI tract.
- Celiac disease: The body’s immune system reaction to gluten damages the small bowel.
How can I improve my GI health?
Although it is important to carry out healthy habits, it is advised that you meet with a physician if you are having issues linked to poor GI health. An Austin Gastroenterology specialist can determine if a more serious issue needs to be diagnosed or if lifestyle changes could help you improve your gut health. Some of the following changes could be suggested by your physician:
- Stay physically active
- Stop using tobacco products
- Monitor for food intolerances
- Drink plenty of water
- Increase your fiber intake
- Sleep for 7 – 8 hours a night
- Add probiotics to your diet
Find help for poor gut health in Austin, TX
Should you find yourself dealing with symptoms of poor gastrointestinal health, it may indicate a more significant condition. Please don’t dismiss any signals your body is providing through an upset stomach, food cravings, and unintended weight changes. To detect and understand any digestive conditions, you should meet with a GI specialist in Austin, TX. To find an expert gastroenterologist near you, contact Austin Gastroenterology. As a patient of our office, you can expect patient-focused services to help you enhance and manage your gut wellness which, in turn, could lead to a greater standard of living.