Summertime is headed in our direction which, for the majority of us, is just another reason to have fun in the sun with our treasured break time. Ahead of breaking out your beach towels or hopping on a plane to go on your next grand adventure, don’t lose sight of how important it is to keep helpful habits that add a boost to your digestive health. With temperatures and exhaustion on the rise, your intestinal health is in danger of getting burned out. At Austin Gastroenterology, our gastrointestinal physicians aim to provide you with the care and knowledge you need in order to keep your digestive system in optimal health. Reapply your sunscreen and turn the proverbial page as our Austin, TX team sheds some (sun)light on the best ways to protect your gut health this summer.
What is it about summer that is hard on gut health?
Summertime is known to be brutal on your gut health, putting a healthy gut to the test and making any existing GI conditions worse. A few of the predominant factors that can open the door to less than optimal digestive health and troubling gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation include:
- Dehydration: High temps translate to your body consuming fluids to remain cool at a faster rate, and you may not be maintaining pace in replenishing used fluids.
- Inconsistent eating habits: Often, if you are traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove difficult to plan ahead for a healthy meal.
- Exhaustion: Your summer functions might leave you with a shortage of energy, which in turn, impacts your digestive health.
If you suffer from a pre-existing GI problem, monitoring your summer months carefully can mean the deciding factor between optimal enjoyment and a summertime endured in complete discomfort. To learn more about way you can manage your individual gastrointestinal issues, contact any one of our expert gastroenterologists in Austin, TX.
How does one maintain gut health during the summer months?
With some careful planning, you can be sure of a healthy digestive system during the summer. Soak up your vacations or relaxing beach days knowing that you are actively taking steps to ensure your digestive system also has a relaxing time. Some of the primary ways you can keep up your summertime health are:
- Drink water: Remain hydrated, specifically if you’re out in the sun and sweating a lot. Dehydration may be the cause of constipation, amidst additional concerning digestive woes.
- Eat fiber-rich foods: eat some dark green vegetables and add a few fabulous summer fruits to your diet to keep up your fiber consumption, which assists digestion.
- Probiotics are your friend: Your digestive system holds a precise balance of helpful bacteria. One of the ways you can power charge your gut health is by lending support to those beneficial bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Plan meals strategically: Those summer yummies like barbeque, soda, and ice cream may be enjoyable in moderation, but always try to arrange ahead of time for nutritious evening meals to avoid putting your gut into overdrive.
- Get a reasonable amount of exercise: Watch out for extreme humidity or heat watches, but a leisurely jog around your neighborhood during sunset is a fabulous way to ensure your gut stays active.
When should you consult with a doctor about digestive health?
If you experience any of the following symptoms persistently during your summer bash, you should seek an Austin Gastroenterology doctor to identify and treat the cause at your earliest convenience:
- Pain in your abdomen
- Persistent diarrhea
- Difficulty passing stool
- Persistent heartburn
If you experience blood in your stool, seek a GI specialist in Austin, TX right away.
Keep a healthy summer digestive system
The summer months can force your digestive system to labor harder to keep your body healthy and in gear. Treat your gut well throughout the summertime, and make sure to practice healthy habits that will make sure you don’t have to waste a second of your summer feeling under the weather. Should you need advice or professional care to effectively manage a gastrointestinal malady during the summer months, don’t hesitate to contact our practice to connect with a GI doctor in Austin, TX. Our doctor-led network of gastrointestinal doctors delights in providing patient-centric care to individuals just like you. Reach out to Austin Gastroenterology today to learn more or request an appointment online.
Keep up with the latest Austin Gastroenterology news by following us on Facebook and Twitter.